Deaf & Hear Alberta Interpreting Services is a province wide service which exists to enhance the lives of Deaf, deafened or hard of hearing individuals and those with whom they interact by coordinating and advocating for equal communication access via professionally trained Sign Language Interpreters. Interpreters bridge the linguistic and cultural barriers between the Deaf (who use American Sign Language or a variation) and hearing audiences (who use English).
All of our interpreters are required to complete additional competency testing in addition to their formal training, as well as maintaining active membership in their professional association. Deaf & Hear Alberta interpreters adhere to a professional Code of Ethics which requires that they protect confidentiality and demonstrate the highest professional standards of practice.
Our goal is to meet our clients’ needs with the highest quality of interpreting possible. With a roster of approximately 70 of the best Interpreters in Alberta and an ongoing investment into efficient booking and service delivery systems, we are able to provide exceptional service to our clients.
- Deaf, deafened and hard of hearing individuals have equal communication access to programs and services accessible to the larger hearing population.
- Our Sign Language Interpreters provide accurate, appropriate interpretation.
- Our Interpreters are viewed as the benchmark in community interpreting standards.
- All levels of government and their associated ministries are aware of and in compliance with their accessibility policies.
- Individuals, organizations and government departments recognize the value of and financially support the use of professional interpreting services to facilitate communication.